Reading in 100 days

Yesterday we had parent/teacher conferences at Joseph's school. Joseph's teacher pointed out that Joseph is the best reader in his class, and one of the best readers in his whole grade. I had to tell her that I have to give most of the credit to a book that we worked on together called Teach your Child to Read in 100 Easy Lessons.
The book is laid out in, you guessed it, 100 lessons. Each lesson takes about 15-20 minutes to complete. Joseph and I worked on it the summer before he started Kindergarten and by the beginning of Kindergarten he was reading. I highly recommend this book to anyone that wants to teach their kids to read. I do have to give a warning: this book is not the most exciting book you or your child will read. There are no color pictures, and the stories are just ok. But the book does a really good job of logically progressing through the learning-to-read process. There were some days that Joseph did not want to do it and I would have to bribe him, but in the end it really paid off, and afterwards he was very happy with his accomplishment!
The book says that you can start teaching kids as early as the age of 4. I plan on starting it with Benjamin early next year.

2 Comments:
Does it work if your kid doesn't recognize a single letter? My #2 = not the brightest kid I've ever had. Good thing he's cute.
Gaia is using this with William. I did a few lessons with him. You are right that it isn't the most exciting book - but the progression is natural.
Post a Comment
<< Home