6.06.2006

Random thought #2

This thought is quite a bit longer...

Short story: NEVER BUY A KENMORE DRYER. EVER.

Long story: We own a Kenmore dryer that is about 5 and a half years old. About 3 weeks ago it stopped heating - it would just blow cool air. I assumed it was the heating element because when the dryer was only about 2 years old it stopped heating and the heating element was the cause. When I took apart the back of our dryer this time, though, I found nothing wrong with the heating element. Being the cheap person that I am, I refused to have a serviceman come out to look at the dryer, so I had my dad (the ultimate fix-it man) come out to have a look. He figured out that it was the timer that had gone bad. I thought that was good news because a timer couldn't possibly cost more than a heating element and it was easy to replace. I was wrong. The heating element was $40 and a new timer is $80. I started thinking about the amount of money we would be investing in this dryer. It had failed us 2 times in the past 5 years which I thought was a pretty bad record for a dryer. Was this dryer worth an $80 investment? I got pretty mad about the whole issue and contacted every possible Sears 'representative' that I could. I called the store where the dryer came from. I e-mailed sears. I called the sears parts customer service center - three times. I asked to speak to the manager. Anyway, I got the same response from each of them "your dryer is out of warranty. We're sorry - there is nothing we can do." I told them that I would make sure to let everyone I know not to get a Kenmore dryer. So that is what I am doing now. NEVER BUY A KENMORE DRYER. EVER.

By the way, I did order a new timer and replaced it. The dryer is working fine. For now.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home